Thursday, October 4, 2007

Goodbye toilet!!

I tackled the toilet and actually won!! It only took me about two hours to get the old one out and the new one in. It would have taken me even less time if I hadn't had two bolts give me a huge problem (one of the bolts on the tank I could not get out, so the toilet came out as one piece...the bolt holding the toilet to the floor just needed some TLC to get out). I came very close to just taking the hammer to the toilet, but I'm glad I didn't resort to that. :) Here's the toilet that was in there originally--there is a huge crack in the tank and the toilet refuses to even attempt to flush.

After much wrestling, it's finally out!!

I look forward to remodeling the bathroom (whenever that ends up being) and getting the floor all one color. Maybe I can pick up a few of these tiles and cut them to fit back there, because it just looks bad. At least it's not a place most people look, right? :)

I had one mistake that David fixed for me after we turned the water on. I didn't get the intake line threaded correctly, so he fixed it. I must give many many thanks to my brother Dave for giving us his old tool set--there's no way I would have gotten this thing installed without it (love ya bro!!).

And the finished product:

We still need to caulk around the bottom, but I think it'll do just fine. It flushes fine and doesn't leak, so I'm happy with it. It really wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. And thanks to everyone who gave me the tip to heat the wax seal with a hairdryer--that worked great!!

As I was taking a little break, what do I see outside?

A bunny!! I have seen so much wildlife at this house it is just amazing. Now, I know a rabbit isn't anything major, but it's something. It's just the little things that make me happy. :)

At least no more running down the street to UDF or home to use the potty. This DIY stuff is pretty fun (so far...hee hee).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap!! (sorry) Good job on the toilet. This will be how every job needs to be done. One step at a time. Glad to see the tools came in handy.

Anonymous said...

Good job on the toilet!

I'm enjoying watching your adventure unfold!